Smartphones are killing camera companies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

According to this article which made it to the front page of Reddit today, smartphones are killing lower-end cameras, and expectations are that only Canon, Nikon, and Sony will survive.

DSLRs are irreplaceable, point-and-shoot cameras are being washed away by smartphones, and the mirrorless cameras being put out by Panasonic, Olympus, and Fuji are struggling to live up to the expectation of that "mid-range" camera.

[Source Article]

What do you think?

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#2 LividLegends

LividLegends

• Members
  • Pip

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

I think that smartphones are capable of taking decent shots, and taking them quickly and easily. The majority of people don't feel the need of carrying around a point-and-shoot camera when they have their iPhone which can take pictures almost just as well. However, I do believe with the progression of cameras in smartphones, soon they will wash away any need for an average point and shoot.

#3 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Before my mother got her first smartphone she thought that she would never use the camera on it. She would tell me that in picking a smartphone she didn't care at all about the camera quality because she isn't a picture person.

Now, she uses that smartphone camera weekly. She has learned how to share photos over MMS and Facebook, how to get them on her computer, and how to use all the focus controls and modes on her camera, and she loves it.

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#4 milksheikh

milksheikh

• Members
  • Pip

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

I take a lot of selfies and pictures with my smartphone. I do think smartphones are taking over the photography business, it is easier and the iPhone 5s has amazing camera quality for a phone.

#5 Matthew

Matthew

• Members
  • Pip

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I agree that smart phones are beginning to dominate the camera industry. However, I don't feel it's such a terrible thing for the consumer. Unlike before, we have everything we need in one little device as opposed to carrying around an often times bulky camera. I acknowledge the fact it's ruining businesses but those businesses shouldn't have placed all their cards in only one market. Take a look at Sony, if there camera business failed, they'd have TV'a, games, software, and so much more to fall back on.

#6 Amy

Amy

Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

I agree that smart phones are beginning to dominate the camera industry. However, I don't feel it's such a terrible thing for the consumer. Unlike before, we have everything we need in one little device as opposed to carrying around an often times bulky camera. I acknowledge the fact it's ruining businesses but those businesses shouldn't have placed all their cards in only one market. Take a look at Sony, if there camera business failed, they'd have TV'a, games, software, and so much more to fall back on.

It's spectacular for consumers! Never before have so many people had a camera on them no matter where they go. We have so much footage of world events these days and it's really changing the way we take in information.

Companies like Kodak will have to think fast to innovate and stay in the market. Back when people began moving away from film Kodak was able to think fast and start to compete with their point-and-shoot cameras (and by being creative and coming out with underwater models and such they were able to remain in the marketplace) but we'll see what they do this time.

#7 mg2prime

mg2prime

• Members
  • Pip

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

The camera need to be able to more than take pictures to stay in the game.

#8 Phos

Phos

• Members
  • Pip

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

I can see why smartphones would be killing the low-end point and shoot camera industry. Nearly everyone with the means to have one has one, and they are generally higher resolution than that of those very low-end cameras. Even if the resolution isn't anything fantastic, people that aren't photographers don't need drastically high resolutions anyway.

I do agree, of course, that SLRs are irreplaceable, digital or otherwise. But those that don't take photographs other than for social networking will rarely opt to purchase those. Though there's still a large market for them, of course, because there are many hobbyists and professionals that will always be upgrading their dSLRs.