• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Amy

Amy

Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

What do you guys do to fix the sound quality of the video from a smartphone? The small microphones on our phones are horrible at clarity and there must be something that can be done to fix the sound.

I know that on iPods or iPhones you can plug in an external Mic with the headphone port but I've never seen anyone do that.

#2 Mr.Panos

Mr.Panos

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

I have the same question with you. Maybe, a professional can answer to our question and help us get improved. :)

#3 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I made a video on my smartphone once when I was on a boat ride and they warned that it could get wet, so I didn't want to risk bringing my DSLR. It was horrible to hear the wind along with the boat noise, but the video looked great.

I used Final Cut to erase the original audio and use an upbeat song in the background, and I cut the scenes together.

I think if you want good audio an external mic is essential, or get creative and go back to narrate the film.

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#4 Daisy

Daisy

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

There's nothing you can do about bad sound; it's the built-in smartphone microphone that is messing up. I don't think any amount of software or editing could improve it considerably.

Buying a good external/plug-in microphone online can solve your problem. I have a cheap one which only cost a dollar, but it still works better than my original smartphone microphone.

#5 Collin

Collin

• Members
  • Pip

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I agree. The microphone in a smartphone isn't really meant for high-quality productions or anything like that. Even though a phone may have HD video, the sound will never be as good unless you really invest in using something more professional. Unless you are a wizard at editing audio, it realy isn't possible to remove "noise" and improve sound quality. And like Daisy said, generally external mics work a lot better than you think. Play around with recording with different mics, and see which one fits you best. :)