1 reply to this topic

#1 fantanoice

fantanoice

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hey guys,

So, I recently bought this camera and it is my first DSLR camera ever (very exciting). I was originally going to go with the model below it, the 650D, but managed to score this one for a good deal brand new ($700 with a Twin-lens kit, which was around the same as the model below it second hand on Ebay).

I know next-to-nothing about cameras, but picked this one after reading some favourable reviews and because of some of its features, namely the swivel-live-view-thingy, the HD movie recording and a few other bits-n-pieces. 

Anybody else have this model? Any tips you can share about it?

Oh, and here's a few example photos I've taken with it in my beginner state. They're terrible, sorry:

Spoiler

#2 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

I have a T3i, the T5i is basically an upgraded version of mine. Sounds like you got a fantastic deal on it! What lenses did it come with?

I like that your photos have some depth-of-field that make the background look slightly blurred. When you switch to portrait mode your camera uses f/5.6 to achieve that effect. If you switch to "A" mode (Aperture Priority) you can change your aperture and the camera will change everything else for a good exposure. You can change your aperture when you're in that mode and scroll the little scroll wheel by the shutter. When you open your aperture farther, your depth-of-field will be more shallow and you'll achieve a smother background blur (called bokeh).

Another tip - if you press the button on the rear of the camera, at the top right, you'll be shown a diagram of the auto-focus dots. By default it'll try to focus on as many points as possible, but if you're photographing something where you need to focus fast and you need the focus just right, you can use the OK key to select exactly which AF point you want to focus on. Ex: If you choose the center AF point, your camera will always auto-focus on the center; it won't decide to focus on the tree by the person you're trying to focus on.

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!