4 replies to this topic

#1 anchor93

anchor93

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

I want to learn a little more about lenses. What kind of camera lens is the best? What's the difference between different lenses?

Let's capture some memories!

#2 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

I just posted a tutorial on the types of camera lenses. Look through it and let me know if you have any questions!

Most cameras will come with a basic zoom lens, maybe 18-55 (that's what my T3i came with in the box). It's a good option for all-around shooting and it's a great lens for a beginner.

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#3 Amy

Amy

Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'd always recommend getting a Zoom Lens as a first lens. It won't be as light or as cheap, but it'll be the most versatile. It's also nice to have something that can go down to lower focal lengths, but if you start with a prime lens you'd probably want a 50mm.

#4 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

While we're talking about the "best" type of lens, let's bring up that there's more to a lens than just focal length and aperture.

Some lenses are constructed much better than others. For example, I have a Canon L-series lens. The L-series lenses are the top-of-the-line Canon lenses. They're made to be dust and moisture resistant, they have ultra-low dispersion elements, they have non-rotating front elements (so you can use filters and you don't have the problem of them turning with the lens), they have a ring USM (the ultrasonic motor is very fast and very quite at autofocusing), and they allow you to manually focus in an instant without having to switch to Manual Focus mode.

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#5 anchor93

anchor93

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

I've been reading some reviews and it looks like there's always a tradeoff when it comes to lenses. It's always a debate between aperture and zoom and image stabilization and even weight with some reviewers.

Let's capture some memories!