Buying used lenses?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Does anyone know of any sites or services where people can buy used camera lenses for cheaper than the new lenses?

If there's not a scratch or anything on the lens it should be good to use, and I figure that used will be a lot better for the value of your money.

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#2 Ashish92

Ashish92

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

I won't trust online services for this matter though amazon and ebay do offer resale camera lenses. But my experiences with online shopping suggest me to keep  precaution in case of resale and that too when it comes to something as delicate as a camera lens.

However I would suggest checking with your local retail stores too.

Here in India the local Nikon retailers do offer resale lenses (some of them are a bit outdated ones) but mostly they are the ones that are quite nippy and working very efficiently. And costings are effectively very low, So I would suggest you to check out with local retailers too.    

#3 Amy

Amy

Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

It's smart to shop around locally so you can inspect the lens in good light before purchasing. Make sure there are no scratches or stains on the front or back of the lens, and take into account if the seller seems to know what they're doing when they're protecting the lens with the lens covers.

I don't know if I'd trust just any retail store with used camera lenses, some of them may have no idea what they're doing.

Ebay may be a good spot to start if you can find someone with a good reputation of selling camera lenses. Asking them questions and looking for a careful description can go a long way! And of course you have eBay buyer protection if someone fails to disclose that there's a scratch or something.

(Buying one that has been protected with a filter or a lens hood may be a good idea!)