Photo

What's a good way to clean microfiber cloths?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have some microfiber cloths that I use for lens cleaning and they've absorbed some finger oils/moisturizer/dirt, and I want a good way to clean them without ruining the microfiber or saturating it with detergent. Does anyone have ideas?

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#2 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

So I did some more research on this and found a method that seems to work well.

You can hand-wash microfiber cloths under cold water with the solid detergent, then let them air dry.

I tried it and it was astonishing how much dark water was coming out under one of my black cloths that looked relatively clean (I hope I'm not just washing away the color). When they dried whey were still soft.

Check out these beginners' camera tutorials!

#3 Ashish92

Ashish92

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

Yup I have been using the hand wash procedure for my microfiber clothes for quite some time now (though my usage of microfiber clothes has more to do with cleaning of my display and my specs)

The key is to let them air dry but not for too long. Also using more detergent than necessary will lend stiffness to the cloth and using not so clear water sometime makes the cloth go quirky.

I have tried both cold and warm (not hot) water and I didn't saw any major difference in softness but it may be.

#4 Amy

Amy

Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yup I have been using the hand wash procedure for my microfiber clothes for quite some time now (though my usage of microfiber clothes has more to do with cleaning of my display and my specs)

The key is to let them air dry but not for too long. Also using more detergent than necessary will lend stiffness to the cloth and using not so clear water sometime makes the cloth go quirky.

I have tried both cold and warm (not hot) water and I didn't saw any major difference in softness but it may be.

Do you usually let them sit out for a short period and then fold them up before they're completely dry?

#5 Ashish92

Ashish92

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Do you usually let them sit out for a short period and then fold them up before they're completely dry?

no I don't fold them up before they're completely dry because I have found that folding them early and leaving the out for long in both cases the fibers tend to stiffen up. 

Also some people like to iron microfiber clothes as well so for that I think they should do it by using some other cloth as overlapping layer to iron microfiber clothes because if direct ironed they get stiff as a sheet. 

#6 Amy

Amy

Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Yeah I want to have them as soft as possible. I don't really see a reason to iron them :D