1 reply to this topic

#1 Sharon

Sharon

Experienced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Photography is a hobby that I want to have as a "serious" hobby.  I want to be that person that friends and family go to and ask if I can go to their event because they trust I take great photos but won't charge them an arm and a leg.  But more so than anything I want to be that photographer that takes certain pictures and people just naturally go "oooh that's a nice shot!"  I get that reaction now with my photos with my Point-and-shoot Samsung WB150F but I want to take my hobby to another level.  

I've been reading reviews on the Canon EOS Rebel SL1 and it's gotten some really great reviews from users. My worry is I have never owned a DSLR camera before so I've nothing to compare it to really.  I hear that it's the lightest DSLR camera in the market right now which is a huge plus.  My brother has a different Canon camera, I never took note of its model but I remember taking pictures for him for my nephew's Christening and I had the camera for less than 20 minutes and my arms were exhausted! =)

What do you guys think of the Canon EOS Rebel SL1?  Would you recommend anything else?

#2 Photographa

Photographa

Experienced

• Moderators

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

The SL1 is a nice camera, and feature-wise it's slightly nicer than the Canon Rebel T3i, which is the camera I recommend to anyone looking to get into DSLR photography. The T3i is a bit cheaper, so you'll want to see what price range you're in.

It's more so the lens that will make a visible difference in your photos rather than the camera body. I would sell the lens kit that comes with a basic DSLR and buy an L-series canon lens (these are the top of the line lenses which will focus significantly faster, be significantly quieter, take better photos, etc.). The type of photography you want to do will determine which lens (or combination of lenses will be best for you).

I'd recommend the 24-105mm L-series lens as your ideal walk-around lens which can be used for a lot of general purpose photography, unless you want to do a lot of photography at night or in dark conditions (even dark indoor conditions where people may be moving), in which case I'd suggest looking for a lens with a wider aperture (maybe that 24-70mm L-series).

Read up on how aperture and shutter speed interact for a perfect exposure.